How tough could one more mile be..?

Muddy Sneaker


As humans, we are habitual creatures per our nature; runners, especially hold true to this. We have habits, routinizes, rituals before our races. Listen or talk to a runner (or any athlete) and many create a pre-race routine and are very thrown off if this is unable to be completed. When I decided to no longer 'race', I thought my nerves/ pre- jitters/desire for pre-race routine would disappear if I did not strive for a certain outcome. However, each race, I am reminded that it does not work that way and find myself start getting nervous each race. The morning of muddy sneaker, things were messy. I did not sleep the night before, I made coffee, walked two steps and dropped the whole cup on myself. True to Danielle form, I also smashed right into a wall. Anyways, I was jittery and uncomfortable for a race I was running for FUN. Plotting along to the start, I am stuck in my head. Then I see a puppy and (for those who know me, know I can't help myself ) and I go pet this sweet little puppy. And it helped me throw away my funk and open my eyes. I am on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with some awesome people, who cares what happened five minutes ago! These are the grass root races I live for, there are not a lot of people, it was created by a group of dedicated folks who love what they do.

As I started to acknowledge the beauty of it all, I remembered to stop and appreciate the strength around me. Trail runners illuminate sheer strength and as I have learned, trails are not for those faint of heart. We start and any ounce of annoyance or anxiousness disappears and I am home. I can't help but feel my heart glow and my spirit dance when I get on trails. Any self-placed constraints I 'peg' myself into leave when I am on the trails. For most of the race, I am running alone and trying to just enjoy the moment. I am struck by how much appreciation I have for my body. I am not sure how many people will understand this but, I feel the need to explain what races provide for me lately. I have discovered such profound respect for my body and it's strength. People's bodies (especially mine) get torn down, beat up, pushed to the brink and yet are resilient and overcome. I have always been a second half runner, I try to stay disciplined in the first half and push hard for the second. As I start my second half and as I am passing people, I am struck as well by their effort and strength.


Right around mile 8, there was a runner down. I can only describe this experience as being humbling. Seeing anyone and especially someone you care for hurt is horrible. I arrived a few moments after she went down and everyone was trying to decide what to do next. Trail runners are not only caring but also rather efficient and effective. (I know this is a bit different but related...)Recently I heard a story bout someone being brutally attacked on the streets of Rochester and no one stopping. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON. Yet, here out on the this trail, most everyone stopped. This is important, this is what make trails a community rather than just a race. I stopped, gave her a hug. I was told by some other runners to keep going and that they did not need my help and I listened. I had complete faith that they would take the best care of her. I also believed that if they needed me they would have asked me to stay and I would have. Where else do such honest relationships form? The ability to ask for what is needed and trust that people will help. Not a lot of places, that is for sure.


And as most of us do, after the fact, we think about the person injured but also about ourselves. I can't help but reflect on what many of us fear and that is injury. We are all just one step away from injury or finishing and this thought is rather humbling. This helped remind me to have appreciation for those things I have not always appreciated (even taken for granted). My body did not disappoint and I felt incredibly strong the entire race.


Smiling Away
Photo by Alex Tong
Generally with a mile life in a race, I can turn it on and go fast.  My generally thought process is, what is one more mile. I was eating those words at the last mile.  You run through a creek and then go straight up and up… and up.  But I wouldn't want to finish any other way (Plus, it wouldn't be a part of the Goose Adventure Racing if there was not some crazy hard twist ).

Again, I apply this to life. We cannot control what we can not control (silly, but yet so true). Life events (good and bad things) are going to happen regardless of if you want them to. We only have the power to learn from the lessons, use the information as feedback and grow from it. You can allow things not working the way you planned to ruin your moment, your day, your year if you allow it to. But just as I have such awe for the resiliency of our bodies, this also message can also been seen in the resiliency of our spirits and our hearts.
 

Comments

  1. Well said, Professor Rae;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one would be smiling like that if they did not truly love what they were doing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This race only gave me two options: finish or die. Dramatic, perhaps.