What the F. AKA Winter Trails Festival

          I have never been a fan of public journaling about myself, so after writing this, I struggle with posting it for others to see. However, I love reading others entries after races and thought, maybe I should too join in this reflection (so be gentle ). But before I start this entry, I think it is important to understand that I recently returned to the world of racing after a 4 year hiatus. I had lost the joy of running/racing and my life became consumed by performing rather than enjoying. After some much needed cross training and reflection, I rejoined the racing world. I promised myself I'd be less competitive and try to enjoy myself more. The old saying, you can take the girl out of the country but you can take the country out of the girl rings true for me... So the whole non-competitiveness with myself worked for around two seconds and then the competitive drive was back in full force during..
           I woke up to a winter wonderland on the morning of WTF. First thing I do is check the weather and it is 8 degrees. I talk a big game about loving snow (and I think I enjoy how peaceful it is) but I don't like anything about snow when it is only 8 degrees and I am outside for three hours. After a crazy morning, I start the race in somewhat of a funk. Since my 27 year old body feels approximately 80, I was focused on feeling like crap the first mile. My water pack froze in the first five minutes (my after thought, of course it froze- it is 8 DEGREES!). Generally during a race, I tend to find a freeing feeling and enjoy the beauty of it all. WTF, however was not quite as peaceful and zen like as I hoped and I trudged through the first loop. At the start of the second loop, I dropped my water pack off at the aid station and tied my shoes. I encouraged the two girls I was running with to continue on and took a few second to try to fix my attitude. I grumbled my way to catch up with the girls. Looking back now, running the second loop alone was actually quite enjoyable. I was able to take a quick bathroom stop (which may have caused frostbite..) and eventually caught up to my friends, Jen and Elizabeth. The third lap was a toughie for us all (or at least I thought so..). Elizabeth so graciously shared her water with me and both of them continued to be positive as I swore like a trucker about the freezing weather. Towards the last mile, competitiveness and frost bite drove me to finish as fast as I could move. Next time, I will finish with my friends who were continually positive and inspiring. I couldn't have done it without them. Unfortunately after the race, I was not excited with myself and instead just frustrated about my preconceived idea about the time I should have gotten.
          The day after, I went back with a friend to hike Powder Mill and was shocked by the beauty of it all and how the heck I missed it the day before. So as my friend's son and I ran like little crazy snow people, I decided that I need to change how I remembered the race. To tie it to the bigger picture in life, how we feel and what we do is related to the choices we make. I have a choice to remember what I want about the race and how I move forward from it. I know my nature is to be competitive and super hard on myself but this does not have dictate my actions.
So in the spirit of choosing to remember the positive, here is what was so wonderful about WTF: 

1. I got to see some great friends accomplish new goals 
2. Beth, my newish friend stayed after her five miles and cheered me on (in the freezing cold)! She inspires me so much and hearing her cheer for me was moving.
3. That after I finished the race, I called my mom so she would know I was alive. She said she was worried because she thought I'd be done sooner. I securely told her she had no reason to worry because every single one of those runners and volunteers had my back if I needed anything. How many people can say that they honestly believe someone would stop and help them during the race? I can.
4. TrailsRoc and the volunteers. Shoot, I didn't even want to go myself and they stayed the entire time. Their generosity was simple inspiring as well. Plus, they came out the night before and marked the course so well (all in the freezing cold.) Those are some dedicated individuals and so appreciated.
5. I recognized the importance of leaning on others. I couldn't have done it with out Elizabeth or Jen. They are incredible, positive and inspiring. Such bad ass women (apparently I am still swearing from the race). Plus they gave me chocolate waffles.
6. Nothing can compare to the beauty of trail running in the winter. I never have found this feeling during road races but something about trail running takes my breath away (and no, it was because it was so cold). It was insanely beautiful.
7. Pictures are important. Apparently a lot of what I was feeling was in my head because I look strong and happy in my pictures.
8. The body is an incredible machine. A while back, I did not follow appreciate what my body has and can do for me. I appreciated that my body took me 15 miles in the freezing cold.
9. A few of my good friends, my mom and others are not able to run (whether it was injury or illness). I cannot imagine how it must feel and each day I get to run, is indeed a blessing.
10. I came together with a great community to celebrate winter and being alive.

So folks, there you have it. After I silently vowed to never race again, I know this is not true and instead, I'll remember to count my blessings and remember the real reason I love this sport.

Powder Mill Park the next day.





Borrowed from Brian G VanBuren

Borrowed  From Michael Lesher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How tough could one more mile be..?

This race only gave me two options: finish or die. Dramatic, perhaps.